A Couple of Dirty Trick Questions

Organizing and discussing Pathfinder Society games.

https://secure.paizo.com/pathfinderSociety/

This website uses trademarks and/or copyrights owned by Paizo Inc., which are used under Paizo's Community Use Policy. We are expressly prohibited from charging you to use or access this content. This website is not published, endorsed, or specifically approved by Paizo Inc. For more information about Paizo's Community Use Policy, please visit paizo.com/communityuse. For more information about Paizo Inc. and Paizo products, please visit paizo.com.
Forum rules

Use this forum for general discussions of Pathfinder Society rules, events,...

Planning games at an individual venue should be posted within the forum for that venue.

This website uses trademarks and/or copyrights owned by Paizo Inc., which are used under Paizo's Community Use Policy. We are expressly prohibited from charging you to use or access this content. This website is not published, endorsed, or specifically approved by Paizo Inc. For more information about Paizo's Community Use Policy, please visit paizo.com/communityuse. For more information about Paizo Inc. and Paizo products, please visit paizo.com.
bbogues

A Couple of Dirty Trick Questions

Post by bbogues » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:03 am

Do you have to come up with a way for your dirty trick effect to happen? For example, if I want to blind or entangle a creature, do I have to come up with how it happens every time I use the maneuver? If so, how would I do anything to effect an elementals, a colossal sized, or other types of creatures that are highly impractical and/or have an undefined anatomy?

Quick dirty trick and spring attack, do they work in tandem? It seems like they should since both talk about a single melee attack, but I also think vital strike should work with spring attack (however I am aware that this is explicitly not allowed).

Minous
Venture Agent

Re: A Couple of Dirty Trick Questions

Post by Minous » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:55 am

Question can you do it has part of a full attack? Sunder and a few others can be done as so, and thus can be done as an AoO action too. If it states in place of a melee attack, vs as a standard action, is the wording you need to lookup.

As for A, from a purely RAW point of view, you dont have to describe what your doing, however most do so for RP reasons.
* Goliath Ftr 13
* Minous Rog 11
* Aspen Frost Wit 11
* Cefn Bbn 8/Hun 1 9
* Zat'nik'tel Rog 9
* Suar Clr 8
* Andromeda Xandros Rog 7
* Domora Sum 7
* Lilly Rgr 5
* Jack Took Rog 4
* Chameleon Vig 4
* Linna Arc 3
* Terra Kin 2
* Melvin - CORE Sor 10
* Randir - CORE Rog 8
* Xindra - CORE Rog 7
* Sung - CORE Brd 6
* Sinstra - CORE Clr 3
* Zen - CORE Mnk 1

bbogues

Post by bbogues » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:35 pm

Quick dirty trick does allow you to do it as part of a full-attack, so it sounds like it would work with spring attack then. Normally, a dirty trick is a standard action though.

I do intend on describing the effect, but there are some examples (such as an elemental or a creature 64 feet tall) that I don't exactly have a believable way of describing. I throw sand in the air elemental's... eyes? I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't text hidden somewhere that required a reasonable explanation for situations where we don't even know how their anatomy works.

Minous
Venture Agent

Post by Minous » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:01 pm

with the Quick Dirty Trick, I would allow you to replace the spring attack with a DT. But only with that feat.

Keep in mind that our characters know more about their world than we as players do. There are a lot of really small things not covered by the rules, that most characters just take for granted. The banking rules come to mind off hand. If I am going to drop $1.6 million dollars on a belt (16k gold), I sure as hell am not going to be walking around town with that much cash. Odds are there is some type of IOU/Voucher/checking/credit system in place that facilitates this process but isn't actually spelled out in the rules.

I would figure something like that would work for those edge cases where you as a player are just coming up short.
* Goliath Ftr 13
* Minous Rog 11
* Aspen Frost Wit 11
* Cefn Bbn 8/Hun 1 9
* Zat'nik'tel Rog 9
* Suar Clr 8
* Andromeda Xandros Rog 7
* Domora Sum 7
* Lilly Rgr 5
* Jack Took Rog 4
* Chameleon Vig 4
* Linna Arc 3
* Terra Kin 2
* Melvin - CORE Sor 10
* Randir - CORE Rog 8
* Xindra - CORE Rog 7
* Sung - CORE Brd 6
* Sinstra - CORE Clr 3
* Zen - CORE Mnk 1

wingnut20x6

Post by wingnut20x6 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:16 pm

Brendan,
If I ever GM a game in which you use Dirty Trick, I will require you and only you to convincingly tell me what is happening. Otherwise the colossal Air Elemental I just threw into my 1-5 scenario will get an AOO on you, for delaying too long.
Andy B
-----
Wings, Sharpshooter Sld 2 (SF)
Flames, Sld 1/Sol 1 (SF)
Twitch, Technomaner 2 (SF)

Elirion Barbarian 8 (Core)
Gustavo Paladin 3 (Core)
Diego Cleric 2 (Core)
Tree-trunk Barbarian 1/Cleric 1 (Core)

Sin-La Unchained Monk 6
No Na Me Unchained Barbarian 2/Mutation Warrior 2
Ashe Ninja 2
Shawn Empiricist 2

ElishaK
Venture Agent

Post by ElishaK » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:58 pm

I would like to point out that using dirty trick combat maneuver does NOT require the player to justify how they blinded the 64 foot tall monster that is made of air. It encourages the player to describe how they did the dirty trick though. And in pfs it is not really up to the gm to say that you can't do the combat maneuver when the dice and rules say otherwise.

The character that I do use dirty ticks with does cary just about anything that could be used to impose one of the conditions, eg smelling salts stuck up the monsters nose or pepper in the eyes.
Regular
12-Lady Majet, Zar, 10-Tim the Bardairan, 9-Blue, Donald, Marvin, 8-Okrin, Nár, Kamentwati, Lord Tagore, 7-Sunaki, Urah, Sir Chompey 6- Terry, some gm baby, Another gnome, 2-Marvin, Ghredrik, another work in progress, 1- Michael

bbogues

Post by bbogues » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:03 pm

Haha I'll start brainstorming ideas now! No AoO's for me!

Like I said, I'll be describing how I plan on blinding things, I just wanted to make sure that it was for fun and not required. Most things should be easy enough, there is just a relatively small subset of creatures that require a little extra thought is all.
Brendan B

13 Arasmes Brbrn
9 Rasamoro Orcl
7 Buck Swshbcklr/Pldn
6 Lutorinus Clrc
5 Nerissys Kntcst
4 Thundering Bull Fghtr*, Lilianna Clrc
2 Xabala Inqstr, Itami Srcrr, Faust Occltst*, Bartimaeus Wzrd, Imperia Fghtr
1 Nasus Wzrd, Garvin Drd, Ripto Arcnst, Derrick Rg

* - In PbP

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic